We are seeing a spate of report from around the United States—and indeed around the world—of fires believed to have been caused by smart meters that were faulty, incorrectly installed, or connected to circuits where there were unfortunate and unforeseen effects. This appears to be not just a matter of freak incidents that may or may not have taken place here or there. In a compilation made by the EMF Safety Network, which specializes in EMF and RF precaution, there are at least a couple of dozen smart meter fire reports from Australia to Canada and virtually all regions of the United States, and some of those reports concern a couple of dozen fire incidents. In some cases fires appear to have originated in the meters themselves, in other cases in appliances like microwave ovens or refrigerators (as in the photo above), because of power surges.
By J Hart
Mona Orkoulas lives in the mountains outside Las Vegas, Nevada, where she works in real estate. Like many Americans she has been impacted by the downturn in the economy and is struggling to make ends meet. Mona was born in the US and raised by an Egyptian/ Greek family. She has always paid her bills on time, and makes protecting her health a priority. For years Mona worked on humanitarian projects in the Middle East: drilling wells, and providing drinkable water and renewable power to remote villages. So she is familiar with the need for safe, reliable public services. Now, it turns out that she may need some humanitarian assistance herself- not in the developing world but right outside Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.
I was very disappointed with Bob Gibney’s (area supervisor with FortisBC) one-sided opinion on why we should have smart meters installed in our homes or businesses here in Osoyoos.
Without further discussion, his statement that “you would be the first municipality in the province to show official support” should make our decision a “no brainer.”
There are very valid reasons why people are so objectionable to smart meters. Gibney conveniently avoided the adversities of smart maters all through his presentation to Mayor Stu Wells and members of town council.
Whenever B.C. Hydro undertakes a project of any magnitude it seems there's always a wall of dissent that starts to build, and the $930-million smart-meter project appears to be no exception.
The cost, lack of consultation, privacy issues, the perception this move is a springboard to a time-of-day pricing system, and health concerns have all been raised as opposing groups lobby Hydro and the provincial government to reconsider.